Having a checklist for job search makes sure you have the right equipment and tools to compete. Without having everything you need, you potentially waste a lot of time. While gathering this checklist of items in this order is not required, it is *highly* recommended you do them all.
Job Search Checklist – Things You Need For Your Job Search
- Portfolio of work and evaluations
- Professional email address and email signature
- Professional greeting on main voicemail
- 20+ Accomplishment stories
- 10 or more ideal job titles
- Targeted, strategically focused resume for each of those job titles and/or ideal job postings
- 50+ companies that could potentially hire you for what you want to do
- Crafted answers to the dreaded interview questions
- Elevator pitch/45 second commercial (here’s how to create yours)
- LinkedIn profile (here’s how to make your profile awesome)
- Listing of 100+ people you know
- Business cards
- Cover letter and thank you letter templates
- Networking email templates
- Folders/system to retain job postings, resume, and cover letters by company (version control)
- Spreadsheet to track jobs applied for and followup (Try Teal Job Tracker)
- Spreadsheet/system to track networking contacts and follow up (or try jibberjobber that creates all this for you)
- Time tracking tool
- Calendar to keep track of meetings
- Positive mindset, anything is possible! It is not the destination but the journey.
20 is the most important. Take care of yourself emotionally and physically. Don’t allow “negative self talk”. Surround yourself with positive reinforcement. Prepare for the long haul and try to enjoy this exploration of the new world!
2023 Job Search Check List
Here’s a pdf to download.Job-Search-Checklist-2023-careersherpa
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.