Making sure you have the right equipment and tools to compete for a job is pretty critical. Without having them in place, you could potentially waste a lot of time. While gathering them is this order is not required, it is *highly* recommended you do them all.
Check List of Things You Need For Your Job Search
- Portfolio of work and evaluations
- Professional email address and email signature
- Professional greeting on main voicemail
- 20+ Accomplishment stories
- 10 or more ideal job titles
- Targeted, strategically focused resume for each of those job titles and/or ideal job postings
- 50+ companies that could potentially hire you for what you want to do
- Crafted answers to the dreaded interview questions
- Elevator speech/45 second commercial (here’s how to create your’s)
- LinkedIn profile (here’s how to make your profile awesome)
- Listing of 100+ people you know
- Business cards
- Cover letter and thank you letter templates
- Networking email templates
- Folders to hold job postings, resume,and cover letters by company (version control)
- Spreadsheet to track jobs applied for and followup
- Spreadsheet to track networking contacts and follow up (or try jibberjobber that creates all this for you)
- Time tracking spreadsheet
- Calendar to keep track of meetings
- Positive mindset, any thing is possible! It is not the destination but the journey.
20 is the most important. Take care of yourself emotionally and physically. Don’t allow “negative self talk”. Surround yourself with positive reinforcement. Prepare for the long haul and try to enjoy this exploration of the new world!