If you are about to embark on your quest for a new job, you need a map and the tools to reach your destination effectively.
Here’s what it takes to start a job search
Most people think that updating the resume is the first step. Nope. You need to know where you are headed first. So where do you begin? It starts with assessment and research. Yuck. But this is the most important first step. On any trek you take, you need to get directions and in order to do that, you have to know where you are going.
Here is your map
Once you understand this and have started the journey, you’ll want to make sure you’ve got all your gear!
Here is a checklist of the top 13 supplies you will need for your journey.
- Portfolio of work and evaluations
- Professional greeting on main voicemail
- Professional email address and email signature (Here’s what a good one could/should include)
- 20+ Accomplishment stories (Read the post and get the template)
- 10 or more ideal job titles
- Listings of “dream” job postings
- 50+ companies that could potentially hire you for what you want to do
- Targeted, strategically focused resume for each job title and/or ideal job posting
- Elevator speech/45 second commercial (Harvard Business School’s Elevator Pitch Builder)
- LinkedIn profile (Spiff yours up today with these 12 tips)
- Listing of 100+ people you know
- Business cards (What should you include and why)
- A Personal Marketing Plan
If you are having difficulty pulling together these pieces, you are not alone. It is challenging for some.