Have you ever said to yourself, “I am so sick and tired of looking for a job?”
You certainly aren’t alone. It just takes longer.
Here are November 2011 stats from the BLS on Duration of Unemployment in weeks.
43% of job seekers are in job search for over 27 weeks! Don’t fall into these statistics!
So where is the element of motivation in this post? Here it comes!
Mapping Out a New Job Search
You can beat the odds if you implement these job search strategies.
- Spend more time talking to people and less time applying for jobs online. Read Change How You Look for Work for more specific suggestions.
- Write a WOW cover letter and modify your resume for EVERY job you apply for.
- Find company insiders on LinkedIn and communicate with them.
- Learn everything you can about the target companies you are interested in working for.
- Is your resume posted on Monster, CareerBuilder and Indeed? What about LinkUp?
- Make sure you have a solid, complete online presence (LinkedIn, website, about.me page, whatever!)
- Get group support. Job seeker Networking groups are great!
If you find that you can’t do this alone and you need a push, check out my Tough Love Job Search group which starts in January!
It is 4 weeks of online group meetings designed to hold you accountable and push you outside of your comfort zone in order to secure a new job faster!
If you are interested, complete the Tough Love Accountability Group Questionnaire and return it to me.
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.