You knew the responsibilities in your last job and your performance was measured against them, for the most part. But in your new role as a job seeker, has anyone outlined what you are responsible for? In other words, what are the skills and responsibilities required of a job seeker today?
Job Seeker Responsibilities
A modern job search requires you carry out these duties.
- Strategically manage online promotion of brand
- Plan and implement marketing strategy/campaign
- Develop new and manage existing relationships by systematic outreach and follow up
- Perform prospecting on the phone and in person to build a pipeline of opportunities
- Increase contact volume and enhance image in the community
- Monitor activities and performance to ensure activities meet or exceed established plan
- Balance a variety of projects simultaneously
- Write strong technical and marketing materials
- Other duties as assigned
Now, how about the skills required of a modern day job seeker.
- Keen understanding of business etiquette
- Attention to detail
- Strong active listening abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (Public speaking a plus)
- Organizational skills
- Self directed individual contributor
- Work well under pressure
- Sales and marketing skills
- Understanding of sales cycle and selling skills
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Leadership skills
- Use of social media and new technology
- Synthesize data
- Database management skills
- Familiarity of research tools and resourceful in finding market information
- Customer service skills
- Negotiating skills
Infographic Job Posting
But wait, it gets even more fun. I recently ran across an infographic job description and it caught me eye…literally. The service is called Jobgram. (I also shared it on Google+ where there was some mixed response)
Here is part of what a Truck Technician job with Waste Management looks like.
Creating an infographic requires additional thought and effort on the part of the employer. I like this a lot. Too often we see bland, meaningless job descriptions. It may or may not catch on, but with the rise in awareness of employment branding…one never knows!
I would love your input…what additional skills are required of a job seeker?
What do you think of the infographic job description?