Monday is the start of a new week. Let’s clean the slate- start from scratch- a big do-over.
Today is the first day for a new you. You can be who you want to be and do what you want to do! (Mind over matter kind of stuff!)
What do you want to happen this week? Do you want to land a job or land a promotion? It all starts today. No matter how long you’ve been looking or trying, today is day one!
This means you’ll have to leave behind some stuff.
First, no more complaining about the “black hole”, age-discrimination, the bad economy or anything else out of your control. Drop the “poor me” attitude.
Second, stop making assumptions. A fresh start requires a fresh outlook, untainted by your past experiences. If you are going to assume anything- assume positive intent.
Third, networking isn’t a dirty word. It doesn’t mean taking from others or asking for favors. You have to give to get.
Your List for This Week
Let’s start with a different kind of to-do list this week. Instead of thinking in terms of what you need to do for YOU, make a list of things you can do for other people.
- Support an organization that needs help.
- Visit someone who needs companionship.
- Forward an interesting article along to someone you know would appreciate it (include a note explaining why.)
- Say “thank you” with a smile to every store clerk you encounter.
- Give someone an unexpected gift (it doesn’t have to cost any money, think flowers.)
- Reach out to someone who you haven’t spoken to in several years. Only ask about their life!
- Do something kind for your neighbor; bring in their trash cans, or bring them a treat.
- Offer to teach someone something you know how to do well.
- Introduce people you know who would benefit from knowing each other.
- Share a job lead or company contact name with someone you know who is looking for work.
Good luck starting your week with a fresh perspective!