If you continue to overlook the importance of your social networking profiles and what you are sharing, you’re missing out on big opportunities to set yourself apart!
The Reality of Social Media
More employers are researching the social profiles and content of candidates today than last year. This should come as no surprise. CareerBuilder’s recent survey found 39% of hiring managers and human resource professionals want to know more about a prospective hire.
The Good Side of Social Media
19% of hiring professionals chose candidates because of the good information they found online! This is a summary of the top 5 reasons mentioned.
The Ugly Side of Social Media
Carelessness, plain and simple, resulted in 43% of candidates losing out on an opportunity.
Here were the top reasons listed for dismissing candidates:
- Candidate posted provocative/inappropriate photos/info – 50%
- There was info about candidate drinking or using drugs – 48%
- Candidate bad mouthed previous employer – 33%
- Candidate had poor communication skills – 30%
- Candidate made discriminatory comments related to race, gender, religion, etc. – 28%
- Candidate lied about qualifications – 24%
So, what will you do this week to spiff up your social presence?