Is your job search or career stuck in a rut? Here’s some help getting unstuck! Improve your job search, how you apply for jobs, your mental outlook, and more!
Every week I share the best performing content from social media (or my favorites, whichever is better for you!) These are the top 5 posts from last week.
The Mind-Blowing Reason Behind How the Best Employees Find Jobs by Lou Adler | Inc.
You should know that Lou Adler is a recruiter (and advocate for job seekers). This chart says it all. The orange bar equals…
Job seekers should reverse engineer this process and stop applying to job boards, shifting their efforts to gaining introductions through the backdoor.
6 Changes You Should Make to Your Job Search | US News & World Report
It’s harder than ever to land a good job. So if you’re unemployed and searching for one, you’re probably frustrated. While employers cite many reasons why finding the right talent is nearly impossible, you can only control what you are doing (and not doing) to get on their radar. Here are a few things you should do differently to get more interviews.
This Woman Created A Resume For Airbnb And It Went Viral by Jenny Che | Huffington Post
Your resume might not go viral, BUT, this is a great lesson on how to stand out.
Step one: find a target company
Step two: research it
Step three: pitch your solution/idea (how to grow their business, improve something)
Step four: share on social media (especially to company insiders/execs)
4 Ways to Ensure You’re Not Overlooked at Work by Anita Bruzzese | 45 Things
Passed over for a promotion? More than once? This post includes some pretty important questions…can you answer these?
- What are your organization’s three top priorities?
- Who are its biggest competitors?
- What is the top challenge your industry faces in the next five years?
If you can’t answer these questions, Bruzzese says “this is why you’re also missing out on key opportunities.”
Dorie Clark’s post features the work of Shawn Achor (I love his ideas and work!).
Here are some quotes by Achor:
“When the human brain is positive, you’re 3x more creative, intelligence rises, and productivity rises by 31%.”
“Before we can change people’s happiness, success, or habits, we have to change their mental reality.”
“Part of what I want people to realize is that the reality you attach to the things going on in your life…changes how your brain responds to it”
Your Action Items For Next Week
Here are five things Achor says you should do…every day to shift your mindset according to Achor:
- Writing down three new things you’re grateful for every day;
- Journaling about positive experiences for two minutes;
- 15 minutes of cardiovascular activity, which is “equivalent to taking an antidepressant”;
- 2 minutes of watching your breath go in and out; and
- “The most powerful one is we have people write a two-minute, positive email praising or thanking someone they know for 21 days in a row,” says Achor. “Not only do you see happiness significantly improve, but you see stress levels drop and social support increasing. Social connection is as predictive of how long you live as obesity, high blood pressure, or smoking, so it’s pretty incredible.”
Like This Post?
If you want to keep up with the trends impacting your job search and career, sign up to get my regular blog posts…
Never miss the job search news you can use. Sign up now!
And you should follow my social media accounts!
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.