You knew the responsibilities in your last job and your performance was measured against them, for the most part. But in your new role as a job seeker, has anyone outlined what you are responsible for? In other words, what are the skills and responsibilities required of a job seeker today?
Job Seeker Responsibilities
A modern job search requires you carry out these duties.
- Strategically manage online promotion of brand
- Plan and implement marketing strategy/campaign
- Develop new and manage existing relationships by systematic outreach and follow up
- Perform prospecting on the phone and in person to build a pipeline of opportunities
- Increase contact volume and enhance image in the community
- Monitor activities and performance to ensure activities meet or exceed established plan
- Balance a variety of projects simultaneously
- Write strong technical and marketing materials
- Other duties as assigned
Now, how about the skills required of a modern day job seeker.
- Keen understanding of business etiquette
- Attention to detail
- Strong active listening abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (Public speaking a plus)
- Organizational skills
- Self directed individual contributor
- Work well under pressure
- Sales and marketing skills
- Understanding of sales cycle and selling skills
- Demonstrated time management skills
- Leadership skills
- Use of social media and new technology
- Synthesize data
- Database management skills
- Familiarity of research tools and resourceful in finding market information
- Customer service skills
- Negotiating skills
Infographic Job Posting
But wait, it gets even more fun. I recently ran across an infographic job description and it caught me eye…literally. The service is called Jobgram. (I also shared it on Google+ where there was some mixed response)
Here is part of what a Truck Technician job with Waste Management looks like.
Creating an infographic requires additional thought and effort on the part of the employer. I like this a lot. Too often we see bland, meaningless job descriptions. It may or may not catch on, but with the rise in awareness of employment branding…one never knows!
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.