If you are submitting resume after resume into an ATS, you’re never going to stand out.
Trying something new can be risky…or it can get you 15 minutes of fame like this SnapChat Resume
Just google “Snapchat resume” and see what happens. Is this what you see?
- It has 997,000 results on Google
- In just one week, his uploaded YouTube video has 796,270 views and 2,600 likes (and 433 dislikes, hey, it’s a response)
- His Twitter account has 264 followers (he just created it Feb 26)
I first saw his story on Facebook (thanks to Chris Russell). It was an article by Business Insider.
Elski, aka Eli, really wanted to work at Snapchat- he said it’s his favorite app. What better way to prove his interest in the company than using their tool! When Eli shared his Snapchat resume, it caught on.
Here’s why I think this Snapchat video works:
- Video allows him to convey his communication abilities.
- It uses requirements from the job posting so he proves he’s got the qualifications (in a humorous kind-of-way).
- It’s targeted to Snapchat and contains their name, so it will get on their radar (assuming they monitor their online mentions).
- It includes contact info and name so anyone can connect or contact him.
- It’s fun, short and shareable.
- It took a bit of effort to create this, probably about the same amount of time it would have taken to customize a resume for the job posting.
Will Eli get the job? We don’t know. But he’ll be known as the guy with the Snapchat resume for a very long time!
@careersherpa send some of that sunshine out here to Santa Monica!! will do, thanks for the positivity¡
— Elski Felson (@ElskiFelson) March 4, 2015
Why aren’t you doing something out of the ordinary to get that job you really want?
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.