I suppose the good news is that the holiday season brings so many excuses to network. Are you ready to mingle?
Here are some ideas to organize your month!
- Please, fine tune your one sentence, interesting introduction. Start with Harvard’s Elevator Pitch Builder!
- If you haven’t ordered business cards yet, go get them today. You don’t need to spend an arm and a leg. There are tons of online deals.
- Visit professional association sites and see when their holiday parties are and PUT THEM ON YOUR CALENDAR now!
- Send holiday cards. Buy some just for your professional network and write a short personal note. (Include your business card too).
- Volunteer for at least one organization that has meaning to you.
- Send a holiday email update to your personal and professional contacts. Thank them for their help and make it positive! Include just the right amount of personal information to make it genuine.
- Each time you leave your house, remember, it is an opportunity to meet new people. Be dressed appropriately and ready to interact!
- Invite some special friends to breakfast, lunch or dinner for some fun entertainment. (You could even make it a potluck).
Whatever you do this upcoming season, get out of your house to be around other people. Do not isolate yourself. You need the support. Start planning your holiday season now!
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.