Why aren’t you embracing social media- not just for your job search , but for your career? It’s about having real conversations with real people; standing out in a sea of sameness, and developing a unique voice. That’s what this conversation with Mark Babbitt is all about.
Mark Babbitt understands social media and has dedicated himself to helping others embrace it. As CEO and Founder of YouTern, President of SwitchandShift.com, and co-author of A World Gone Social, Mark is a strong voice and influencer helping leaders and institutions transform their thinking.
Mark Babbitt Talks About Getting Social
Our conversation focused on three basic questions:
- Why is social media so important for job seekers to understand/use?
- What do you wish all college students knew?
- What will job search in the future look like and what will it take to succeed?
Mark’s perspective and insight on today’s job search is invaluable for anyone. It is my hope that after watching this 30 minute conversation, you’ll walk away with a better understanding of what you need to do to stand out in this competitive world of work.
Some of Mark’s nuggets include:
- Stop believing “The Big Lie.” A degree and good grades don’t entitle you to anything anymore.
- Embrace ACCOUNTABILITY. This is the one thing that will motivate you and set you apart.
- We’re living in the “Testimonial Economy”- It is not what you know but what someone knows about you!
- If you aren’t getting referred for a job, you’re not going to miss out.
A Final Word
If you liked this conversation, you may enjoy Mark’s book.
A World Gone Social: How Companies Must Adapt To Survive by Ted Coine and Mark Babbitt
Hannah Morgan speaks and writes about job search and career strategies. She founded CareerSherpa.net to educate professionals on how to maneuver through today’s job search process. Hannah was nominated as a LinkedIn Top Voice in Job Search and Careers and is a regular contributor to US News & World Report. She has been quoted by media outlets, including Forbes, USA Today, Money Magazine, Huffington Post, as well as many other publications. She is also author of The Infographic Resume and co-author of Social Networking for Business Success.