Both securing a job and maintaining a job require that the right people like you. Sure, you have to have the skills and abilities to do the job, but likability is critical.
How to improve your likability?
- Develop a tangible connection (build relationships)
- Sincerely compliment
- Find ways to make others look good
- Agree with people's ideas first
- Ask for advice from others
- Remember important personal details
- Take on tasks that visibly help
- Actively listen
- Don't publicize your agenda
- Use someone's name when you speak with them
- Always show respect
- Create alliances below, with peers and above
- Know what is important to others and acknowledge
- Never criticize
- Admit faults, and apologize when needed
- Be nice
- Do the "right thing"
- Choose your words carefully
- Be positive
Have I over simplified? Perhaps, but remember, there is generally more than one way to get something done. Our first instinct may not be the right one. Learn from mistakes and be a better person because of them. Niceness counts.